Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Not now. Not ever.

There was a waling down in the depths of her soul. The feeling of being rejected was seeping through to the surface. I knew it was only a matter of time before the dam broke. Her emotions spilling over. I fought against the current. finally landing reaching the sandy shore. I left my footprints in the soft sand as I walked into a dark cave, The sound of sniffling growing louder with each step.
"Hello?" I called but I received no answer. The small noise ceasing.
I sighed realized how much tougher this was going to be now. I continued to move on, my hand sliding along a wall of the cave. I stopped when the sound of a rock rolling along the Rough floor of the cave reached my ears and i changed the direction in which I walking. In the far distance I could see a faint glow and headed towards it.
As I neared the light I slowed to a stop at the upturned flashlight. I looked about the area and zeroed in on a small figure huddled the farthest corner.  I took slow, deliberate steps towards the little one, watching her intently. She stiffened and I stopped just a few feet away from her.
"Go away," She said.
"I'm afraid I can't do that," I told her cautiously taking a few more steps till I was right next to her. "I feel your pain." I said kneeling down next to her.
"Yeah? What are you going to about it?!"
I reached over her and gathered her into my arms. She struggled and lashed out but I held firm and eventually she stopped, threw her arms around my neck, and sobbed on my shoulder.I stood up and took her over to the flashlight and sat down on the ground. I slightly readjusted her position and ran a  hand up and down her back. She cried all the harder.
A single tear fell down my cheek, the first of many.
"She doesn't want me!" She sobbed and i held her all the tighter.
"It's excruciating painful. I know." I empathized, " There are still people who love and you'll never be alone. Not now. Not ever."
I sat with her for a long time. My cheeks, and hers, stained with tears.
"Why me?" She asked.
"Why you?" She nodded.
"I' don't know." Her face fell. "But... One day. Some day soon. You'll know."
Her face lit up. The faintest glimmer of hope in her eyes.
I continued to hold her, long past since she fell asleep. I wasn't going to let go.
Not now. Not ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment