Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Ready or Not

I opened my eyes and groaned. I really didn't want to get up. But whether I wanted to or not. I had to.
Today was the day! Ugh. I felt as if I didn't fully study last night for the test that was in my first class today. Slowly, I arose from the bed and slipped into into my fuzzy green monster slippers beside the bed.
I walked out of my room and grabbing my clothes, I headed to the restroom across the hall. Said door was shut and the slit at the bottom of the door lit up. Assuming someone was inside I knocked politely and waited.
There was no answer on the other side of the door.
I wrapped my fingers around the circular doorknob and slowly turned it. Opening the door a crack, I peeked inside. There was no one inside. Last person must have forgot to turn the light off. I thought. I swung the door open and stepped in closing the door behind me.
After exiting the bathroom, I went down the hall into the kitchen. My older sister and mother were already up and guessing by how they were dressed. They were up a lot longer than I have been. The both said good morning. Me-not being a morning person- pushed past them with so much as a grunt.  I grabbed the bag of bread and dropped a piece in the toaster pouring myself a glass of orange juice while I waited for the toast to pop.
I spread jam on the toast and ate it. When I had finished, I placed my dishes in the sink and went back to my room to get my backpack and jacket then headed out my front door to the car.
 My mother was already there waiting for me. My sister had already left. She was much older than me and had a car and job.
"Ready?" My mom asked.
I nodded and got into the passenger seat. She started the car and we sped off to school.

1 comment:

  1. There are few mixed tenses in here. The story seems to be in past tense, but there are a few present tense words that could confuse some readers, such as when you say "grabbing" instead of grabbed, "assuming" instead of I assumed (although, arguably, saying assuming could still work.) "Closing" instead of closed. Aslo, there are a few sentences that would work better if they were combined, such as: " My older sister and mother were already up and guessing by how they were dressed. They were up a lot longer than I have been."
    Still, very good! I like how you're using descriptions to set the mood and tell the story!

    ReplyDelete